Meditation in movement

Dancing is a spiritual practise for me, like yoga or meditation.

As I dance, I reconnect with Mother Earth and my inner world of feeling and intuition.

Thursday 24 January 2013

Uncovering meaning in gestures

This evening I had 3 really strong sets of gestures that appeared in my dance. I observe the gestures, or movements, that my body produces while dancing to see if there is an emotion or desire that is expressing itself outside my consciousness. The first recognizable one this evening was sweeping, wiping away old debris, cleaning the path, making way for the new. The second set is one that often appears for me - cutting. And finally the 3rd set was expressing, speaking truth, letting out what is held inside, seen in movements with my hands and limbs, taking something from inside and pushing it out into the world to be shared.

Each of these gestures is a symbol for me and if I "stay with them" (here I mean to keep repeating the gesture until it really settles in the body), my consciousness will usually find some meaning in them, some inner voice that wants expression.

Take note of your gestures. They are the body's language.

No comments:

Post a Comment