Meditation in movement

Dancing is a spiritual practise for me, like yoga or meditation.

As I dance, I reconnect with Mother Earth and my inner world of feeling and intuition.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Body talk

One of the most curious things for me is learning whether other people find their bodies speak to them the way I experience it.  Maybe some of you wouldn't say it is your body talking but rather your soul, your  restful mind, your heart. Here is how it works for me.

A couple of months ago I arrived at a dance event feeling good and ready to move.  I warmed up and had nothing in particular on my conscious mind.  The warm-up ended and the facilitator asked participants to remember that stillness was also important and to pay attention to it, not just moving. Something immediately responded in me and I started to settle my body and my mind.

I had just become still when my body said "My spinal cord is tired".  I thought that an odd thing in its wording, "spinal cord", as opposed to "spine" or "back". I practice giving my feelings and intuitions a voice, so specific words are important to me.  I began to roll up and down slowly, feeling if my back was sore but that wasn't it.  I continued to follow this line of thought and movement and not too much later I understood that in fact I was zoning in on my nervous system.

I had been through a busy spring and an emotionally difficult experience at work.  My nervous system was asking for a rest and I spent the rest of the session dancing gently, meditating on stress leaving my body.

Share an experience you've had and please don't give up if I don't seem to reply or connect with you... I'm still learning about how blogging works and I may not have these settings right!

4 comments:

  1. I am continually surprised at the way my body speaks to me, or with me. Sometimes I simply find myself repeating a gesture, without any conscious thought, and then I realize that I am expressing an experience or emotion or memory with that gesture. The movement creates the feeling which makes conscious a thought or realization. It's a way I listen to myself, and learn about what is really going on. Much like sitting down to write, just with a different vocabulary.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago I attended a friend's performance at the Royal Legion in Lakefield. She's a Patsy Cline tribute artist and it was absolutely delightful to observe her performance. Afterward, we had a dance. All of us were in a circle, dancing. Dancing together felt a bit spiritual, but I found that I had to close my eyes to dance, and that when I did this, I felt as if I were on another plane. A plane I haven't experienced in decades. It was euphoric. I'm hoping that after I've lost my physical baggage, that I'll be able to regularly incorporate dancing into my life again. I miss it. I miss what it does for me spiritually. At the moment I only occasionally dance by myself, in my private space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the replies about your experiences. I too observe gestures repeating and enjoy following them to see where they lead. And circle dancing can be one of the best human experiences I know. I miss my childhood days when my parent's square danced and I felt happy and secure in the company of adult bodies moving with laughter and vitality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bodies moving with laughter and vitality" ... I think dancing generates a special type of energy. A type no other body movement generates. I could be wrong of course, but this is my impression.

    ReplyDelete